Where we’re from and where we’re going
Over 80 years ago we set out on a path to the top
FMP Architects was established in Cork City in 1940 by architect Frank Murphy who was known for his modernist architecture. In a 2018 editorial in the Irish Examiner, Murphy was described as “arguably Cork’s most eminent and exciting modern architect”, and “Cork’s unsung hero of Modernism”.* Frank was influenced by both Scandinavian and American architecture and his work featured complex surfaces as well as curtain wall facades. In 1956, Murphy designed West Cork’s first modernist building ‘All Saints Church’ in Drimoleague, and Cork city’s first purpose-built office building ‘Sutton House’ in 1966. His other work includes Thompson’s Bakery, Cork Distillers Company bottling plant and other churches, factories, offices, housing and shopfronts.
The tradition of working to the highest standards of excellence in everything we do was continued when Frank’s son Peter took over the practice. 10 years later we moved to our current location in the old Granary Building on Rutland Street. In 2017 we rebranded, changing the name of the practice from Frank Murphy & Partners to FMP Architects and Brian McKeown joined Peter as a director.
Arguably Cork’s most eminent and exciting modern architect
While many things have changed and the practice has expanded and our expertise grown, that tradition of excellence remains the bedrock of our business. You’ll see it in everything we do, in our work through our commitment to innovation, sustainability and creative design standards, and in our superior customer service which always puts the client first. We have evolved to become a multi-disciplinary firm, with particular expertise in conservation, restoration and bespoke high-quality home design and delivery.